Whether you have many years of experience or are unsure of your career direction, I can partner with you to further develop awareness of your skills, values, interests, and personality traits. Assessment tools can help you gain a better understanding of yourself, expand your career options, find a good match with employers, and identify strengths for the ever shifting workplace. Self-assessment can be conducted informally (through worksheets) or formally through standardized career assessment tools.
Career counseling can provide you with a confidence boost, career advice, and strategies for improving your job search or career choice, and much more! If you would like to be happier in your work life or more successful in your job search, consider meeting with me to explore new ways for getting there.
Individual Counseling Appointments
Whether you would like have someone to bounce your ideas off, help troubleshoot your job search, critique a plan, or provide some encouragement, a one-on-one counseling session can be invaluable. Come and see me if you'd like to:
- Explore your career dreams and life purpose.
- Relieve stress about work problems.
- Get support and practical advice.
- Move past your fears.
- Get help brainstorming possibilities and solutions.
- Develop an action plan for work or education.
- Get a confidence boost and a shot of hope.
- Have a sounding board for your ideas and concerns.
Career Assessment Testing
If you have trouble imagining what your "dream job" might be, or have an inkling but would like some confirmation, consider taking career assessment tests. Testing is especially useful when you'd like to:
- Discover new careers you hadn’t thought of before that would be a good match to your talents and preferences.
- Confirm your ideas about careers you have thought about, but are unsure about pursuing.
- Develop a checklist for identifying your “dream job” so you know what questions to ask while researching it.
- Know yourself better so you can more accurately plan your re-entry to the workforce, return to school, or transition to retirement.
Formal Guided Exploration
To supplement your independent self-exploration, MCS offers two standardized formal tools which can help in your assessment process: the Personality Type Test and the RIASEC Survey.
1. Find Your Personality Type
Explore your personality type with our popular Personality Type Test. This assessment is based on the theory of sixteen personality types originally developed by Isabel Briggs Myers.
The Personality Type Test is a scientifically validated personality type test that anyone can use based on the original 16 types created by Isabel Briggs Myers to identify your true type quickly and accurately. Learn your four-letter type, such as ENFP or ISTJ, and find out what it means for you in life and work.
Plus, discover your personal strengths so that you can plan a life that sets you up for success. You'll get the crucial info you need to make the most of your potential and be the best you that you can be.
The Personality Type Test may help you with:
- Identifying your personality preferences
- Selecting a career or expanding career options
- Adding insight to improve professional relationships
- Enhancing your ability to lead and work with others in team-based environments
- Evaluating your innate personality and understanding of how your tendencies work together to shape your communication, information-gathering, decision-making and organizational styles
Personality Type Test (PDF)
2. Discover Your Ideal Career
Looking for your perfect career? Holland Personality Type Survey assessment uses the established model of Holland Codes (RIASEC) to give you a comprehensive assessment of your interests, talents, and potential. The RIASEC Survey is a comprehensive, scientifically validated career test that will help you discover the best career path for you. Get personalized career ideas and individual advice that will help you choose a path to keep you motivated and successful for many years to come.
The RIASEC Survey may help you with:
- Exploring and identifying careers related to your interests
- Choosing education and training options that match your interests
- Determining your preferred learning environment
- Understanding your leadership, risk-taking and teamwork preferences
RIASEC Survey (PDF)
For Additional self-exploration, take informal assessments, and depending on your learning style, review the results on your own or schedule an appointment with a career counselor.
Informal Assessments Include:
Career Options Worksheet (PDF) Attitude Inventory (PDF)
Fifty Million Dollar Exercise (PDF) Values Inventory (PDF)
Section Interests Exercise (PDF) Workplace Attitude Inventory (PDF)
Transferable Skills Exercise (PDF) What’s Your C.I.A. Code (PDF)
Values and Preferences Exercise (PDF) Do You Have What Employers Want (PDF)
These tools are meant to be a starting point to help you in the self-exploration process. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with me to discuss the contribution an assessment inventory might make to your career exploration and planning.
Personality Type Test assesses temperament preferences, and the RIASEC Survey categorizes your top areas of interest. I also provide tests that assess your favorite skills and motivating values.
Career testing is typically a 3-appointment package, but each assessment can be taken individually if you don't want to take them all. I can also give you a personalized interpretation of career assessment tests you've taken elsewhere before. Specific goals of this process include:
STEP 1: LEARN ABOUT YOURSELF
STEP 2: IDENTIFY CAREER POSSIBILITIES
STEP 3: GATHER CAREER INFORMATION
STEP 4: FOCUS ON CAREER SPECIFICS
STEP 5: GATHER EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION
STEP 6: MAKE A PLAN
Job Search Advice & Support
It is challenging to launch and run a job search campaign in tough economic times. If your strategies aren't working, we can kick around ideas for achieving greater success. I will teach you practical skills and techniques for exploring the job market, networking, writing resumes, and answering tricky interview questions. I can also show you how to tailor your resume to look like a good fit for a specific job. A one-hour appointment may be all you need to get revitalized!
Resume Critique & Re-design
I can help you improve your self-marketing materials – your resume, cover letter, or statement-of-purpose essay for applying to college or grad school. You'll achieve better results when you learn how to write from your reader's perspective and know what they want to see. I'll teach you how to tailor your resume for each job posting in order to look like a good match and how to avoid the classic pitfalls that hurt a candidate's chances.